Friday, September 4, 2015

#RPGaDay 2015 Part 2

Continuing from the previous post.



11. Favorite RPG writer

Kenneth Hite easily, with John Wick as a close second.  They are both wonderful writers in their own way.  Both are largely setting guys, Ken’s settings brim with weirdness and John’s are chock full of drama.
Robin D. Laws is in there as well as an RPG writer.
Chuck Wendig is my favorite writer who happened to work in RPGs.

12. Favorite RPG illustration


See above.  The classic Deadlands cover tells you everything you need to know about the game.

13. Favorite RPG Podcast

Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff or One Shot.  KARTAS features two of my three favorite RPG writers talking about a wide range of topics and how they apply to roleplaying.  One Shot instead is an actual play podcast with a rotating cast of improvisers and other entertaining types playing a cavalcade of changing games.

14. Favorite RPG accessory

Poker chips or Mardi Gras Doubloons.  Most of the games I run incorporate some sort of hero points and handing these to the players as physical items goes a long way to ensuring they are used.  The doubloons especially look cool and evocative.

15. Longest campaign played



I ran a campaign of Mutants and Masterminds 1e that ran for around three years.

16. Longest game session played



The great Dark Ages Vampire chronicle of 2005, I ran it through the summer for about a week with 6 hour sleep breaks.  So that’s pretty constant.  I always wanted to do a Werewolf Wild West game but never got around to it.

17. Favorite fantasy RPG



Old School D&D, it’s lightweight and flexible enough to be what you want when you want.  Even if (like me) fantasy isn’t your thing, minimal hacking can result in something akin to Stars Without Number or Silent Legions.  
The above picture was created by Tony Diterlizzi, he's pretty great.

18. Favorite SF RPG


  
 Ashen Stars is my hands down favorite, and probably the sci-fi game I've played the most over the past few years.



Eclipse Phase if it wasn’t so crunchy on the surface.  One of my pet projects is taking BRP and running transhuman sci-fi with it, cribbing a lot of elements from this.

19. Favorite supers RPG



Mutants and Masterminds 1e.  I enjoyed Champions the first couple of times I played it but character creation takes too long.  M&M1e streamlines that math and looks enough like the other games I had played that it was easy to pick up.
Mister Mystery was featured throughout the core book and was also in the Noir supplement.

20. Favorite horror RPG



Cthulhu Dark or Trail of Cthulhu.  In Cthulhu Dark your character simply and quickly generated so you can get to poking the shoggoth real quick.  Trail of Cthulhu gave us pillars of sanity which are essentially hit locations for mental degradation.

21. Favorite RPG setting



Day After Ragnarok since I am reading through it and Robert E. Howard inspired things are always great.  Eberron from 3.5 is my favorite D&D setting, I feel it is ripe for spy games.

No comments:

Post a Comment