Thursday, September 3, 2015

#RPGaDay 2015 Part 1

I started this post a bit late for RPGaDay 2015 so I'm running through the topics rapid fire to make up for lost time. Ten or twelve today and maintain that pace the next few days to get through them all.
1. Forthcoming game you're most looking forward to:

Probably The Sixth Gun RPG from Pinnacle.  I love the Weird West in pretty much all it's forms, everything from Robert E. Howard's "The Horror from the Mound" to K. J. Bishop's fantastic Etched City. Cullen Bunn's work on The Sixth Gun comics are definitely influential on my own Wicked West.
2. Kickstarter game you're most pleased you backed

That would have to be Raiders of R'lyeh, an Edwardian Age Call of Cthulhu spin off with an emphasis on exploration with a plethora of great tables for filling those empty spaces on the map.  I backed at the level so I'll be an unsavory NPC in the setting. I opted to use my actual name so if there's only one 'Aaron' - that's me.
3. Favorite new game of the last 12 months

Just arrived hot from Kickstarter: Feng Shui 2, haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but it's in queue.  Hong Kong heroic bloodshed movies have been very influential in how I run games.
4. Most surprising game


D&D 5e actually being good, I was skeptical at first but the game does just about everything it set out to do.  I have a 5e campaign currently on the back burner that I will be restarting some time soon-ish.  It's all very much in vein with Saladin Achmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon.

5. Most recent RPG purchase


 I just picked up Unknown Armies 2e, and it's great.  Full of inspiration and weirdness to throw into any game even though I'm not going to be playing it any time soon.
6. Most recent RPG played

Played? 4e D&D for the podcast.  Ran? Sabres & Witchery in a homebrew setting that's Castlevania meets Bloodborne during the Peninsula War.
7.  Favorite free RPG

 Cthulhu Dark takes the cake, it is fast and simple with lightweight rules that covers the basics- what your character can't do and interpreting the die roll.
8. Favorite appearance of RPGs in the media
The D&D references from the Ren-Fest episode of Home Movies.  Because Home Movies.
9. Favorite media you wish was an RPG

 I would say Adventure Time, but that's already been done. So instead Gravity Falls which would be pretty easy with Unknown Armies, Monsterparts, or Little Fears.  Anyone ever notice that most of the rpgs that focus on playing as children have too much going on?  Just a thought.
Tony Diterlizzi's Wondla would be pretty fun, just use Other Dust  or Gamma World 7e.

10. Favorite RPG publisher

  Pelgrane Press, foremost publisher of stabby detective stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment